Type:Project 5: Final Reflection on Type

The first project letter helped me understand the form of different typefaces in both arabic and latin languages. looking so closely at the form of letters and trying to find curves in two letters that match and find an interesting composition was the hardest part. it made me see the aesthetics of a composition better.

In the word project i had to carve out my letters which was an interesting physical exercise to make me feel and see the forms in real life rather than seeing it on screen like the previous project. experimenting with material and figuring out what type of material lends  itself to the form of the letter helped me understand different characteristics of the material and figuring out how to mold it into the letter form without distorting the material so much that we don’t know what it is anymore, so it was a balance of not distorting both the form and the material, but finding a happy medium and making the material used work with the form of the letter rather than against it. Kerning was introduced to us too in terms of placing the individual carved letters and making the spacing between them easy to read not too cramped making it harder to defrentiate the letters.

In the sentence and paragraph projects I learned a lot about legibility although the tracking, kerning, line measure, and all the exercises we did was tedious, I kind of appreciate it now because it helped me understand in the end how to make interesting compositions when keeping those things in mind and using them to enhance the overall aesthetics of the compositions. I didn’t really like making grids in my compositions but kept in mind that aligning parts of sentences and  paragraphs makes the composition more pleasing to the eye. Using different family members of the type to create expressive compositions and to create emphasis to certain (important) words.

In the final poster I got lucky with the colors, I always hated to play with colors in text but for some reason I actually liked how the colors I chose turned out with the overall poster it created a nice contrast between the sentence and the whole poster and choosing the ‘pistachio’ green to bring attention and emphasis certain was working really well. In the poster creating levels of hierarchy was pretty tricky, finding a big enough point size for my sentence was a little challenging for an a1 poster because I couldn’t tell on screen How really big or small was the point size, that’s why I had to test print before I print my final. (Obviously)

Final poster: 

type_lastproject_final2.jpg

I tried to apply what I learned in all these projects into this final one. Going through all these tedious exercises made it easier for me at the end, in terms of how to break the sentence and place it in the poster in relation to the word and other elements of the image, making sure to align it to certain letters to make it more organized and less random. When we were composing our sentences and paragraphs on plain white pages I felt it was more about the composition and felt color was not really necessary in some ways it didn’t make sense to me, but when it came to the poster it made a lot more sense to play with color since it enhances the legibility of the text and gives the sentence and chosen words emphasis and hierarchy in terms of what to pay attention to.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s